Thursday 26 September 2013

'Ooh, you little beauty'

I mentioned in a previous post that I'm shooting a bit of film at the minute, alongside my digital cameras. I have a few film SLRs, eight at present, and I'm starting a project where I'll be shooting with a different camera every month for a year. I still need to find four more models but I have enough to be getting along with for now. The first camera in the project is the Praktica BX20 and I have a roll of film in it at present. Images will be published on the blog in early October as will a little review of it's history, handling and my overall impressions of it.

The majority of cameras have been given to me or been sourced for not much money, the result of the ever advancing digital revolution. Having said that, I have noticed a resurgence in film cameras as of late and the prices are starting to creep back up on the internet and at car boot sales. Some of the more expensive semi-pro and pro models are, in particular starting to fetch higher premiums. A mint condition Olympus OM2 will now fetch well over one hundred pounds and I think that these prices will only rise in the future. However, there was one camera that I had been after for some time, one that I was prepared to pay considerably more for if it resulted in an excellent or mint condition example. I'm referring to the Nikon FM3a which entered production in 2001 and is considered by many to be the last great mechanical SLR. I was searching online for a mint one and these were selling on eBay from anywhere between £500-£1200, depending on condition. I really couldn't justify that kind of money, so resigned myself into thinking that I was never going to own one of these beauties. All that changed a few weeks ago when one was listed from within the U.K. on a seven day auction. It was described as 'new other' and came with manual, Nikkor 50 mm F1.8, cable release and case. Last minute bidding was frantic but I was lucky enough to win it with a bid of £386.00 with just seconds to go. When it arrived, I really couldn't believe just how lucky I'd been. Looking at the camera, I don't believe that it's ever had a film put through it, not a mark or blemish anywhere. This could and should have fetched at least twice the amount that it did, in fact, had bidders seen better images during the seven day bidding period, then in all likelihood it would have done. I can't wait to run a film through it as part of the 12 months of film project, but for now it's on display and in pride of place alongside my other film SLRs.

Nikon FM3a film camera





   Thank you very much for spending the time to look at my blog. I'm passionate about all things camera related and would greatly appreciate it if you took the time to look at some of the ads on my page. They're related to the stuff I blog about and you may find some great deals. I use a number of companies which advertise on my site when purchasing gear, and find them all to be fantastic, reliable with quick delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment